Shiki-Colors mixes the elegance of a dark theme with the usability of a light theme, resulting in a hybrid theme. Shiki is designed to be fast and stable.
There is a Clearlooks version for out-of-the-box compatibility with most distros and a Murrine version for eyecandy and speed.
There are 7 color variations (Orange, Blue, Green, Purple, Red, Chocolate, Pink). A matching set of Icons, Wallpapers and GDM themes can also be downloaded separately from gnome-look or at the gnome-colors project page.
You can edit the theme's source (the gtkrc files) for further customization, which is all too easy due to the included instructions.
Must read or clowns will eat you:
* The Murrine version will only work with Murrine 0.90.3 or newer. Yes, you will need to upgrade unless you're using Ubuntu Jaunty.
* The borders are very thin, and titlebars/menubars are unified because of "LOL, ELEGANCE". If you have any difficulty resizing windows, try the included alternate metacity with thicker borders.
* In Ubuntu, for themes (installed through appearance preferences) to be able to theme applications in admin mode, you must type in a terminal:
sudo ln -s ~/.themes /root && sudo ln -s ~/.icons /root
Fedora users can get an installable package of Murrine 0.90.3 (x86) here until is not available in release section:
* In Ubuntu, you can use the official PPA repository for easy installation and upgrades. For Ubuntu Karmic Koala, you can simply run apt-get install shiki-colors to install from Ubuntu's universe repositories. The packages are also available in Debian Sid.
* To fix minor Firefox 3 bugs in Shiki-Colors, install the Stylish add-on and go here (or install the included userChrome.css file following the instructions in README):
* Visit the GNOME-Colors project page for bug reports, feature requests, SVN and more downloads:
* Consider donating a small amount to the GNOME-Colors project if you wish to support it, or to show your appreciation. You can do so by clicking on the "donate" button next to the download section.
7 years ago
* Add support for Chromium's GTK theming.
* Update Green, Pink, Orange and Red palettes for better contrast.
* Fix a minor Firefox urlbar color issue in green/orange variations.
* Add new Pink (Illustrious) color variation.
* Add support for gdm-user-switch applet in Karmic.
* Fix panel matching in Dust-Murrine variant.
* Remove spaces in metacity names for easier RPM packaging. You might have to
remove the old metacity folders or run make uninstall from a previous version.