A heavily modified version of the beautiful Aurora engine (1.4). Thanks to his author.
IMPORTANT! Since version 1.40, the file below contains only the engine source. You can download themes (both GTK and Metacity) from the second and third links :
- The five Equinox Evolution themes are new offical ones and will get some updates in the future. Only these themes are now included in the theme package available from the Launchpad PPA
- The original themes are no longer maintained (but still usable).
First of all, make sure you have installed the GTK+ library development files (libgtk2.0-dev on Debian/Ubuntu, gtk2-devel on Fedora) with your favourite package manager.
Then to compile the Equinox engine, extract the corresponding archive in your home folder. In the new directory, run the following commands:
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-animation
(and perhaps other distribs), compilation don't work with the options above. You must run:
./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-animation
Finally, run this command :
To install the themes, extract the content of the other archive in your ~/.themes.
You can easily change the colour used for selected items or tooltips in Appearance preferences.
To fix the issue with the text of selected menu items in Firefox and Thunderbird, copy the userChrome.css in both ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default/chrome/ and ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/chrome/
To use the Equinox Evolution theme with Chromium or Google Chrome, open the browser and drag the CRX file (provided in the themes archive) into the address bar. In applications options, don't forget to enable the display of Metacity borders.
A (still uncomplete) version of Faenza icon theme is now available. Follow the link a the bottom of this page.
* curvature = 2.5
* menubarstyle = 1 # 0 = flat, 1 = gradient
* menubaritemstyle = 0 # 0 = flat, 1 = gradient, 2 = inverse gradient, 3 = line
* menubarborders = 1 # 0 = none, 1 = bottom border, 2 = top half-border, 3 = bottom border and top half-border
* toolbarstyle = 1 # 0 = flat, 1 = gradient, 2 = flat without border, 3 = gradient without border, 4 = flat with bottom border, 5 = gradient with bottom border
* buttonstyle = 0 # 0 = normal, 1 = glassy
* menuitemstyle = 0 # 0 = normal, 1 = glassy
* listviewheaderstyle = 0 # 0 = normal, 1 = glassy
* listviewitemstyle = 1 # 0 = flat, 1 = gradient
* scrollbarstyle = 0 # 0 = normal, 1 = glassy, 2 = normal with grip, 3 = glassy with grip, 4 = flat
* scrollbartrough = 0 # 0 = background color of the parent widget, 1 = base color of the widget itself
* scalesliderstyle = 0 # 0 = normal, 1 = glassy, 2 = normal with bullet
* checkradiostyle = 0 # 0 = normal, 1 = glassy
* progressbarstyle = 0 # 0 = normal, 1 = glassy
* separatorstyle = 1 # 0 = solid inset, 1 = gradient inset, 2 = lighter line, 3 = darker line
* textstyle = 0 # orientation of text shadow
* textshade = 1.08 # > 1.0 for light text shadow, < 1.0 for dark text shadow
* animation = TRUE # FALSE = disabled, TRUE = enabled
* arrowsize = 0.1 # controls combo_arrow circle size. Diameter set by (11 + 2 * arrowsize)
* Strange progressbars in Firefox and Thunderbird
* Some ugly message areas
Equinox is available to install for Ubuntu users via a PPA repository. Open a terminal and run :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tiheum/equinox
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-equinox equinox-theme