It's my first icon pack mod, so please dont't hit me :) rather than that I like constructive criticism, so please feel free ...
Also, it's not realy finished, but quite useful for my purposes (sometimes I think I'll work on it until the end of my life but now I need a break from this heavy time consuming pleasure :])
* Color modification of Mint-X Iconpack: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-x-icons
* An attempt to eliminate all blue tones (because blue is everywhere in everyday life and this is too much for me, and now at least my user interface is free from blue...)
* Mostly use of 4 base colors (red, orange, green and yellowgreen) and some brighter or darker tints
* Made for "dark backgrounded systems" because the original Mint-X icons have some problems on dark BG in my opinion (I currently use the brilliant "Sable Yellow" GTK theme, which has a black BG and uses by default my favorite yellow as accent color, so, fortunately I had'nt do a dark GTK theme by myself, but the icons had to be changed, also because of blue colors in every iconpack I found...^^):(http://killhellokitty.deviantart.com/art/Sable-3-14-31-03222015-507996540)
* Added some new icons of my favorite applications, which are missed in Mint-X
* Some icons were completely redesigned
* Shortcut icon (for symbolic links) "disabled" by making it 100% transparent (I use type as text under the icons in nemo instead...)
* Tried to use not too bright greys, in case of light grey backgrounds, could be still too loud or too high contrast!
* Inverted action icons to have a chance to recognize them (better) on dark/black background
Sometimes it might happen, that not all icons show up properly,
although I tried some approaches like update icon cache or restart system...
IN THIS CASE: the only possiblity was in case of my Linux Mint 18 (cinnamon), to copy those "probematic"
icons to the fallback icon themes, which are in case of Mint-X: gnome and hicolor (in /usr/share/icons)
or, at least some are in pixmaps ... *sigh* ...
maybe I missed only the right infomation, if so, please let me know how to do this better!!! :)
(actually, I thougth all icons in a Linux system are covered by only one icon theme...)
here are the icons I had to copy:
sudo cp -v apps/96/mintupload.svg /usr/share/pixmaps/mintupload/icon.svg
sudo cp -v apps/96/mintupload-systray.svg /usr/share/pixmaps/mintupload/systray.svg
sudo cp -v apps/96/mintbackup.svg /usr/share/pixmaps/mintbackup/icon.svg
sudo cp -v status/48/mintupdate-updates-available.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/status/mintupdate-updates-available.png
sudo cp -v status/32/mintupdate-updates-available.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/status/mintupdate-updates-available.png
sudo cp -v status/24/mintupdate-updates-available.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/status/mintupdate-updates-available.png
sudo cp -v status/22/mintupdate-updates-available.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/status/mintupdate-updates-available.png
sudo cp -v status/scalable/mintupdate-level* /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status/
OTHER USED THEMES:
Window borders => DarkGraySmooth metacity window decoration
Controls & Desktop: Sable Yellow 3.14
if you also want to remove the blue tones from Sable (Yellow), this script could be helpful:
#usage: $0 (maybe you name it "subsBlues") /usr/share/themes/Sable-Yellow-3.14/gtk-3.0/gtk-contained.css
#light blues to light yellow #FFF0BF
#medium blues to yellow-green #BBB110, 187, 177, 16
#dark blues to dark green #556B2F
sudo cat "$1" | sed -e 's/#bac8db/#FFF0BF/g'
-e 's/74, 144, 217/187, 177, 16/g'
sudo cp "$tmp" "$1"
sudo rm "$tmp"
As usual, sudo copy the dowloaded Mint-X-AbsenceOfBlue.tar.gz to /usr/share/icons (or maybe ~/.icons works also)
and select it in system settings.